Mange Treatment Services in Urbana, MD
All dogs scratch from time to time, but some may be itching due to more serious issues. If your dog is scratching a lot, it may have a case of mange, a condition caused by mites. Village Vet can inspect your dog’s fur and skin to determine if they have mange and provide treatments to clear up the situation.
Make sure your pet is as healthy as possible with proper care. Contact the team at Village Vet today at (301) 228-0681 to schedule a visit.
Does Your Dog Have Mange?
It can be hard to tell the difference between a minor issue that will clear up on its own and a serious case of mange. Your dog may have mange if you notice the following symptoms:
- Excessive itching in certain areas
- Redness and irritation on their skin
- Hair loss in specific areas of their body
If you think your dog has mange, don’t delay — contact us today at (301) 228-0681.
Types of Mange
There are two primary types of mange that commonly occur in dogs. Both are treatable and can be cleared up with the right treatment.
- Demodectic mange is the most common form (also called “red mange”), caused by tiny mites inside a dog’s hair follicles. A small number of these mites is common, but a dog with a lowered immune system may end up with more than a reasonable number of mites.
- Sarcoptic mange is a rarer form and much more severe. This type of mange, also known as scabies, is highly contagious to other pets and humans and is caused by mites living under the surface of the dog’s skin.
Mange is a serious condition that can have long-term effects on your dog and your family. Contact us today to schedule a vet visit.
Pet Wellness PlansWhen you sign up, your pet will receive top-rated
care through every stage of life.
What To Do if Your Dog Has Mange
Treatments for mange vary by the type diagnosed by a veterinarian. The team at Village Vet can diagnose your dog’s health issues and provide the correct treatment for their condition.
- Demodectic mange is simple to treat, and many dogs recover without any treatment. For others, topical medications and special benzoyl peroxide shampoos can help clear up the condition.
- Sarcoptic mange is more complicated to clear up. Treatments include shampoos, dips, injections, and medications. Our veterinarians can determine the best combination of treatments for your dog.
With help from Village Vet, you can rest easy knowing your dog will get the care they need. Contact us today at (301) 228-0681 to schedule a visit.
Contact Village Vet of Urbana for Mange Treatment
No matter your dog’s illness, the team at Village Vet is here to help. We’re a full-service veterinary clinic, offering care for dogs, cats, and “pocket pets.” Some of our services include flea and tick control, cancer care, ear infection care, end-of-life care, and more. You can trust us to provide the best care possible for your furry loved ones.
Contact Village Vet today at (301) 228-0681 to schedule the care you need for your pet.