General Pet Health Services in Urbana, MD
The key to a happy home is a healthy pet—at least it is for all you pet owners out there! At Village Vet of Urbana, we offer a broad range of veterinary services for your
family pet, including general health and wellness exams. Preventative healthcare is the key to stopping diseases in their tracks and treating minor illnesses before they become more serious.
To schedule a wellness appointment for your dog or cat in the Frederick County area, please contact Village Vet of Urbana today!
Our Pet Health Services
The same way humans need annual physicals to remain healthy and catch diseases in their early stages, pets should see the vet once a year for a health exam. Our staff here at Village Vet of Urbana has the skills, knowledge, and compassion to keep your pet in good health. Here’s what a physical examination at our clinic includes:
- Heart and lung check: Obviously, a healthy cardiovascular system is vital for your pet to live a long and healthy life. During your pet’s wellness visit, we listen for irregular heartbeats or breathing to help us detect heart disease, infections, and other illnesses.
- Teeth inspection: By age three, 80 percent of dogs and cats have periodontal disease, an advanced form of gum disease that can cause tooth loss and other health problems. We make a point of checking your pet’s teeth and gums during each health inspection to look for signs of trouble. We’ll recommend a cleaning and polishing or move intensive dental treatment if we think your pet could benefit from such services.
- Eye examination: Just like humans, dogs and cats can develop cataracts, lens stiffness, scratches, and eye infections. Because they can’t complain of vision problems or eye pain, it’s important to have your pet’s eyes examined during a regular wellness visit at Village Vet of Urbana.
- Ear assessment: Ear mites, wax buildup, and water may cause infections, resulting in pain and irritation. We always check the ears during a pet wellness exam, and if we find anything unusual, we use ear cytology to determine if your pet has an ear infection.
- Skin, lymph node, and abdomen health check: When you see one of our vets run their hands down your pet’s torso, they’re checking for lumps, lacerations, hair loss, and any sensitive areas. A closer inspection can uncover skin discoloration, fleas, and ticks. The condition of your pet’s skin and hair is a good indicator of overall health, which is why we include this check as part of each wellness visit.
- Joint and muscle tests: If you’ve noticed your pet having difficulty getting around lately, joint or muscle injuries could be to blame. We can run tests to analyze range of motion and detect signs of joint swelling, hip problems, and arthritis.
- Lab tests: If your pet seems unhealthy in any way, we can perform blood tests in our in-house vet laboratory. The results of these tests help us make more informed decisions about your pet’s health. From vitamin deficiency to anemia, we can draw many conclusions from a simple blood test performed right here in our office.
Schedule Pet Health Services in Urbana, Maryland
Your pet’s health is our number-one priority. We encourage you to visit our vet clinic in Frederick County for all your pet’s health and wellness needs. We have a special relationship with the animals in our community, and we look forward to seeing you and your furry friend soon! Just call Village Vet of Urbana or fill out the contact form on this page to set up your pet’s next appointment.