Veterinary Intensive Care in Urbana, MD
When your furry companion is injured, ill, or recovering from major surgery, you want him to have the best possible care. That’s what we offer in our intensive care unit here at Village Vet of Urbana. In addition to needing prompt emergency treatment, your family pet may require days of extra care as the recovery process continues. During this time, our veterinary ICU provides regular monitoring and life-support technologies to give your pet the best chance of making a full recovery!
If you think your pet has a condition that ICU treatment could help, please contact us. We are located in Urbana, MD and serve all of Frederick County.
What’s Included in Our Vet ICU
The ICU provides all the tools needed to help animals on the road to recovery, including supplemental oxygen, fluid transfusions, pain management, breathing tubes, IV treatment, and intensive antibiotic therapy. The philosophy of our intensive care unit is to provide maximum support to our furry patients and give them the best possible chance of healing after a serious medical event, illness, or accident.
Our expertly trained veterinary nurses monitor pets in the ICU while they recover. For added peace of mind, all of our overnight patients are checked on as needed by our live-in veterinary nurse. Then, our vet doctors are on call 24/7 to jump to the aid of our animal patients should they need it.
When Do Pets Need Intensive Care?
Our focus is on helping animals with conditions that can be cured and have a good chance of recovering with intensive support. Good candidates include animals that experience:
- A traumatic injury: Whether your pet’s injury requires surgery or not, the best chance for recovery is in the intensive care unit. We help pets heal from broken bones, bite wounds, insect and snake bites, and more.
- A treatable illness: Pets can receive extra help recovering from a variety of complex diseases in the ICU, including acute renal failure, respiratory failure, and congestive heart disease.
- Toxicity: If your pet eats something he shouldn’t have, he could become poisoned. After removing the toxic substance from your dog or cat’s stomach, we may recommend an overnight stay so we can continue monitoring his condition.
- Major surgery: Post-operation, all pets rest and recover in the ICU, where they are carefully monitored and cared for. We understand that surgery is often stressful and confusing for animals, so we take every step possible to make sure recovery goes smoothly. If any issues develop while your pet is in the ICU, we immediately alert the on-call vet doctor to administer the necessary care.
- Cesarean section: If your pregnant dog or cat has complications during delivery, a c-section may be necessary to bring the kittens or puppies into the world and save the mother’s life. Then, the ICU is the perfect place to recuperate.
If your pet is suffering from any of the following conditions, call Village Vet of Urbana today at (301) 228-0681 for veterinary intensive care.
Call Village Vet of Urbana to Learn More About Intensive Care
Whether your pet is traumatically injured or you’re anticipating an upcoming planned surgery, you need a quality animal hospital with a well-equipped intensive care unit for recovery. Village Vet of Urbana is the right choice for your needs.
Here, we’re not just animal doctors–we’re animal lovers, too! As a result, we make our intensive care facility as comfortable and stress-free for your pet as possible. Trust our team to give your fur baby all the tools he needs to make the fastest, most complete recovery possible.
If you live in Frederick County, MD, call Village Vet of Urbana at (301) 228-0681 to learn more about our veterinary ICU.