As a pet owner, it’s your responsibility to keep your furry friend happy and healthy. You may be unsure about what your animal needs, especially if you’re new to pet ownership, but don’t worry – Village Vet of Urbana is here for you! Whether you’re just falling in love with a new puppy or kitten or you’re concerned with the comfort and wellbeing of a longtime furry member of the family, we can help you provide for your pet’s needs.
Start with these pet health tips. Then, if you have any questions about caring for your pet or you need to schedule vet services, contact Village Vet of Urbana.
Tips for Keeping Your Dog or Cat Happy & Healthy
- Meet your pet’s basic needs: Animals require good food, clean water, a warm place to sleep, and plenty of affection. If you address these basic needs, you’re well on your way to ensuring a happy, healthy pet.
- Help your pet maintain a healthy weight: You may want to dote on your pet with treats, rich table scraps, and as many feedings as she wants, but dogs and cats can become overweight just like people can. Obesity in pets comes with serious health risks, including diabetes, arthritis, and even cancer. We can help you formulate a healthy diet for your pet and prevent overfeeding that could lead to weight gain.
- Exercise and stimulate your pet: The same as humans, pets need physical exercise and mental stimulation to keep from being bored. Most animals love to play, which fulfills their need for both exercise and stimulation. A bored pet may act out inappropriately by barking, chewing on furniture, and messing in the house when left alone for long periods. If you work long hours or travel for business, consider hiring a pet sitter or dog walker to prevent these problems. Also, stock up on plenty of fun toys your pet can entertain herself with while you’re away.
- Keep your pet free of parasites: Fleas, ticks, and heartworms are the most common parasites that plague family pets. Treatment is available, but year-round prevention is the key to keeping your pet healthy. We can recommend over-the-counter products that will protect your pet best.
- Vaccinate your pet: Many communicable diseases are easy to avoid thanks to pet vaccines. We recommend vaccinating against rabies, distemper, parvo, panleukopenia, and other diseases your pet may be at risk of contracting.
- Spay or neuter your pet: “Fixed” animals are much more even-tempered and pleasant to keep as house pets. We recommend spaying and neutering for all dogs and cats to help them stay safe and avoid potential health complications as they age. This action also helps prevent adding to the homeless pet population and cuts down on the number of unwanted animals that are euthanized each year.
- Take preventative measures to keep your pet healthy: Diseases and illnesses can sneak up on your pet, but with annual wellness visits, you can catch and treat developing problems before they become serious. Plan to visit the vet once a year for a preventative health screening that includes a dental inspection, heart and lung check, eye examination, and more.
Schedule a Visit to Our Frederick County Vet Clinic
Clearly, a large part of keeping your pet healthy is to provide necessary medical care. That’s where Village Vet of Urbana comes in. Let us provide all the preventative care, diagnostic services, and treatments your pet needs to stay healthy for many more years to come. Call us for any services you require, including emergency veterinary care, or contact us online to schedule an appointment.