Professional Puppy Care in Frederick County
Bringing home a new puppy or kitten is one of life’s greatest pleasures. Now that you’re officially a pet owner, you need to properly care for this animal to ensure a long, happy, and healthy life. Village Vet of Urbana is here to help! Start with a few useful tips for preparing to bring home a new pet. Then, seek expert puppy and kitten vet care at our animal hospital in Frederick County.
To schedule your new pet’s first appointment, contact Village Vet of Urbana today at (301) 228-0681.
Preparing Your Home & Family for a New Puppy or Kitten
How to Puppy- or Kitten-Proof Your Home in Urbana, MD
Before you adopt a pet, it’s important to get ready for the new arrival.
Puppy- or kitten-proof the house:
- Lift electrical cords out of reach if possible. Tape down the rest.
- Store chemicals and cleaning products up high.
- Remove houseplants that could be toxic to dogs and cats.
- Tuck away breakable objects.
- Set up baby gates if necessary.
Prepare the family and delegate tasks:
- Who will take the puppy outside/empty the kitten’s litter box?
- Who’s in charge of feeding the pet and when?
- Who’s going to take the animal to veterinary appointments?
- Who will be in charge of training?
Making your home safe for your new furry friend’s arrival and determining different tasks and jobs will be the two most important steps in the kitten or puppy preparation. Whenever you have questions about proper kitten or puppy care in Frederick County, contact us today!
Stocking Up on Pet Care Supplies
Fur babies need the right supplies to thrive, just like real babies. Here are the types of things you need to have on hand:
- Food and water dishes
- Pet food
- Pet bed
- Size-appropriate crate
- Collar and ID tag
- Pet stain remover
- Grooming supplies
If you have any questions about what you’ll need to stock up on before adding a kitten or puppy to the family, contact our professional veterinarians in Urbana today!
Make Your First Vet Appointment
Start things off on the right paw by bringing in your new puppy or kitten within the first two weeks of adopting her. When we meet a lively puppy or kitten, it’s hard to believe that anything could ever slow them down, but this is the age when animals need the most protection, making preventative vet care paramount. We will start them off with their “baby” shots and get them on the right track with heartworm, flea, and tick preventives. We also like to help young animals get acquainted with the veterinary office through “treats,” snuggling, and lots of individual attention so they won’t dread coming for visits as they get older!
Here are the services we offer for puppies and kittens:
- Vaccines: Look at your newly adopted animal’s paperwork to find out her vaccination status, and we’ll get her up-to-date.
- Parasite control: We offer deworming services plus heartworm, flea, and tick prevention.
- Spay and neuter services: Improve your pet’s temperament and eliminate the risk of unwanted pregnancies by spaying or neutering your pet.
- Nutritional counseling: Get advice about which dog or cat food you should be feeding your new pet.
- Behavior assessment: If you need help training your pet or overcoming a bad behavior, we can help.
- Pet wellness plan information: Save on future veterinary services by signing up for a pet wellness plan during your first vet visit.
Village Vet of Urbana—The Best Animal Hospital Near Frederick, MD
Schedule Puppy & Kitten Vet Care at Village Vet of Urbana
Beyond these basics, we know you will probably have questions about your “bundle of energy.” Let us know how we can help! For a happy, healthy life for your new puppy or kitten, choose Village Vet of Urbana for all your veterinary needs.
To learn more about our services, or to sign up for a pet wellness plan, please contact us today.